The Southern Gold Society was formed to increase the enjoyment and study of Southern
gold coins and related history, through an informal, relaxed mix of education and
fellowship. The society is reminiscent of those of a bygone era, in which connoisseurship
and a gentlemanly appreciation of Southern gold coins is the order of the day.
- To facilitate the enjoyment and study of the gold coins and related history of the
Southern branch mints (Dahlonega, Charlotte, and New Orleans) and private Southern
minters (Templeton Reid and the Bechtlers).
- To enjoy each member’s knowledge and friendship in an informal manner.
- To provide a relaxed, pleasant environment in which to meet during selected coin
shows and other convenient events.
- To encourage the appreciation and preservation of a Southern gold coin’s original
- To consolidate the information, resources, and talent available to enthusiasts of
these historic Southern gold coins.